Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Your Health

What is Long COVID?

Long COVID is a patient created term broadly defined as signs, symptoms, and conditions that continue or develop after initial SARS-CoV-2 infection. The signs, symptoms, and conditions are present four weeks or more after the initial phase of infection; may be multisystemic; and may present with a relapsing–remitting pattern and progression or worsen over time, with the possibility of severe and life-threatening events even months or years after infection. Long COVID is not one condition. It represents many potentially overlapping entities, likely with different biological causes and different sets of risk factors and outcomes.

Infection associated chronic illness is not new. There is substantial ongoing research on infection-associated chronic conditions and other diseases that may have infectious origins, including dysautonomia and ME/CFS. It is important to build on this research to achieve a deeper understanding of Long COVID.

Estimates vary, but research suggests between 5-30% of those who had COVID-19 struggle with Long COVID symptoms 30 days after acute infection.

The CDC found that one in five COVID-19 survivors aged 18-64 years, and one in four survivors aged 65 years or older, experienced an incident condition that might be attributable to previous COVID-19.


As we learn about Long COVID, the best protection remains to prevent COVID-19 in the first place by following basic public health interventions, including getting vaccinated and boosted.

People who think they may have Long COVID should talk to their doctor. Patient Tips: Healthcare Provider Appointments for Post-COVID Conditions | CDC

To prevent Long COVID the best protection remains to prevent COVID-19 in the first place by taking precautions like staying up to date with your COVID-19 vaccine.

To find a vaccine location near you visit,!

Get Involved in Research

You may be able to participate whether you’ve tested positive for COVID-19 or not.

Learn more about the U.S. government led Long COVID research initiatives or enroll in a study by visiting the National Institutes of Health’s RECOVER, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s INSPIRE website.

We can accelerate Long COVID breakthroughs when we work together!

Supports & Services

Long COVID is a public health issue that is in desperate need of answers, and people need help today.

Navigate through the services and supports by your area of need to find federal resources that may be available to you.


Over 1 million people have lost their lives to COVID-19.

They were beloved parents, grandparents, children, siblings, spouses, neighbors, and friends. Each person is irreplaceable, and the families and communities left behind are still reeling from profound loss. Many families and communities have already received support from federal programs that help with the loss they have experienced. As we move forward, we commit to ensuring that families and communities can access these support programs and connect to resources they may need to help with their healing, health, and well-being.

Need help paying COVID-19- related funeral expenses?

Call the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to see if you are eligible for financial assistance to cover COVID-19- related funeral expenses.

Toll free number: (844) 684-6333, Monday Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.

If you use a relay service, please provide FEMA with the specific number assigned to you for the service so FEMA can follow up with you about your application. Multilingual services are also available.

For more information you may also want to visit COVID-19 Funeral Assistance |

Having problems coping with your loss?

Call the National Helpline at 1 (800) 662-HELP (4357); 1 (800) 487-4889 (TTY)

Access local services through the Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator and visit Home - SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator

If you are the surviving spouse, child, or parent of a service member who died while serving their country, you may qualify for bereavement counseling through the VA.

Bereavement counseling (also sometimes called “grief counseling”) provides assistance and support for people going through emotional and psychological stress after the death of a loved one.

Access information about VA Bereavement Counseling, visit Bereavement Counseling | Veterans Affairs

CDC has resources available that can help you cope with the loss of loved one. Learn more information and access resources, visit Grief and Loss (

CDC also provides information for adults on how to help children cope with loss, and help support their mental health in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more information about children and coping, visit Helping Children Cope (

How Children Grieve and How Parents and Other Adults Can Support Them SAMHSA provides a resource for parents and other adults to help children who have suffered the loss of a parent or loved one. Learn more on supporting children with grief, visit After a loved one dies - how children grieve: And how parents and other adults can support them | SAMHSA

MedlinePlus links to health information from the National Institutes of Health and other federal government agencies and provides resources on bereavement, grief, and loss. Find bereavement resources, visit Bereavement: MedlinePlus

This resource from the National Institute of Mental Health provides information on adapting to loss, types of grief, and discusses life beyond the loss of a loved one. Learn more about coping with grief, visit Coping With Grief | NIH News in Health

The Social Security Administration provides information on the basics of survivor benefits, how to apply, what documents you need, and other related information. Learn more about the basics of survivor benefits, visit Survivors Benefits | SSA

Mental Health & Substance Abuse

The COVID-19 pandemic impacted our lives in numerous ways, and as a result, many of us have faced a variety of stressful challenges that can be overwhelming. The COVID-19 pandemic has affected people’s mental health and created additional obstacles for those in need of behavioral health care including mental health and substance use care.

A growing number of adults in the United States reported mental health concerns since the start of the pandemic, and many children and adolescents have experienced challenges to their emotional health and well-being. While already increasing before COVID-19, substance use and drug overdoses increased in the United States after the COVID-19 pandemic began, and we have learned that people with substance use challenges and some mental illnesses are at increased risk for poor COVID-19 outcomes.

A variety of federal supports and services are available to help.

Home - SAMHSA Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator

Virtual Recovery Resources (

After a Loved One Dies - How Children Grieve: And How Parents and Other Adults Can Support Them | SAMHSA


According to official guidance from the Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services, the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Long COVID can be a disability under the ADA, Sections 501 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act if it substantially limits one or more major life activities

These federal laws provide protection from discrimination for people with disabilities. Major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, sitting, reaching, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, writing, communicating, interacting with others, and working. The term also includes the operation of a major bodily function, such as the functions of the immune system, cardiovascular system, neurological system, circulatory system, or the operation of an organ. The limitations do not need to be severe, permanent, or long-term.

Do you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your race, color, national origin, disability, age, gender, or religion?

Visit Office for Civil Rights | U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ( or Contact the Civil Rights Division | Department of Justice or Home | U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (

Do you have a complaint about housing, law enforcement, labor, education, or employment discrimination?

Find other Federal civil rights agencies that can help you

Contact the Civil Rights Division | Department of Justice

Health Coverage

The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the critical importance of having health care coverage for yourself and your family. The pandemic has worsened the inequities that underlie our health care system, and the federal government is continually working on both federal and state levels to improve access to and quality of care for everyone.

Need health insurance coverage?

Contact a Health Insurance Navigator and Assister. Search - Local Assistance for Health Insurance Application | (

Need assistance with Medicare coverage, enrollment, or costs?

Contact Medicare at 1 (800) MEDICARE or 1 (800) 633-4227 and 1 (877) 486-2048 (TTY). Welcome to Medicare | Medicare (

In need of health insurance coverage after job loss?

Contact a Benefits Advisor. Ask EBSA | U.S. Department of Labor (

Community Services

If you have Long COVID, you may need assistance to do things you did by yourself in the past. You also may need to make changes in your life or to your home to adapt to the changes in your abilities. Below are networks and programs that offer a wide range of services and supports to meet your needs.

Looking for information about community-based supports and services that you are eligible to receive?

Contact the Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL). To use DIAL, call (888) 677-1199 Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET or email Learn more at

Are you an older adult or a caregiver for an older adult looking for local support resources?

Call the Eldercare Locator at 1 (800) 677-1116 or visit to chat live or browse resources.

Family-to-Family Health Information Centers

Family-to-Family Health Information Centers (F2F) are family-staffed centers that provide critical support to families caring for children and youth with special health care needs, particularly families of children with complex needs and those from diverse communities. F2Fs help people find effective care and services, apply for Medicaid, Children’s Health Insurance Program, or private insurance, get referrals to providers, address insurance denials, identify and access community support programs, advocate to ensure effective and cost-efficient care and connect with parent mentors.

Find F2Fs near you, visit Affiliate Archive - Family Voices | (

State Health Insurance Assistance Program

State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is a national program that offers one-on-one assistance, counseling, and education to Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to help them make informed decisions about their care and benefits. If you have Long COVID, you may want to find out if you can reconsider your Medicare options to make sure you have the best Medicare coverage for you.

Review your options and learn about enrollment periods, contact your local SHIP by visiting Home | State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (

Centers for Independent Living

Centers for Independent Living (CIL) support people of all ages with all types of disabilities and are in communities in every state and most territories. They offer, at a minimum, the following services: information and referral, independent living skills training, peer counseling, individual and systems advocacy, transition and diversion from nursing homes and other institutional settings back into the community, and transition of youth to postsecondary life.

Find a CIL near you, visit CIL Center and Association Directory | ILRU (

Tribal and Native American Grantees

Native American Elderly Service Centers provide supportive services, nutrition services, and caregiver support to native elders and their families. Age for eligibility is determined by each tribe; there are 282 grantees serving over 400 tribes. For tribal and Native American elders with Long COVID, these programs may provide case management and assistance organizing transportation. They may also help educate individuals and communities on Long COVID and the resources available to assist people with Long COVID and caregivers. Find services in your area, visit Service Locator | National Resource Center on Native American Aging (

Half or Reduced Fare, Urbanized Area Formula Grants

This program makes federal resources available to urbanized areas (population over 50,000) for public transportation, buses, commuter trains, ferries, etc. Public transportation law requires grantees receiving funding under this program to offer half fare or reduced fare to people with disabilities and older adults during off-peak hours for fixed-route services. Local transit agencies may also have a reduced fare policy for additional groups of riders such as children, students, active-duty military members, or military Veterans. Learn more, visit Understanding Half Fare/Reduced Fare Requirements | The National Aging and Disability Transportation Center (

National Aging and Disability Transportation Center

National Aging and Disability Transportation Center (NADTC) serves professionals in the fields of transportation, aging, disability, human services, and caregiving. It supports the availability and accessibility of transportation options for older adults, people with disabilities, and their families to find the best transportation options in their local communities.

Explore NADTC resources, trainings, and information, visit National Aging and Disability Transportation Center (

For technical assistance, email at or call at (866) 983-3222, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET

State Assistive Technology Programs

State Assistive Technology (AT) programs help make AT devices and equipment and services available. Their efforts range from “low tech” (e.g., built-up handle on spoon to improve ability to grasp) to “high tech” (e.g., computers controlled with eye movement). Other examples of supports are home automation solutions and services to obtain and use devices. AT support can also include assessment, customization, repair, and training. For people with Long COVID, their state program may be able to provide them with AT, subject matter expertise, and technical assistance related to accessibility and AT.

Find a local AT program, visit Find a local AT program | Assistive Technology Act Technical Assistance and Training Center (

Consumer Supports

Centers for Independent Living Centers support people of all ages with all types of disabilities and are in communities in every state and most territories.

Find a local CIL, visit CIL Center and Association Directory | ILRU (

Area Agencies on Aging

Area Agencies on Aging (AAA), serve older adults (age 60 and older) and family caregivers. Most also serve people with disabilities. AAAs contract with more than 20,000 local providers nationwide to provide services and programs including transportation.

Find your local AAA, visit Eldercare Locator | Administration for Community Living ( or call 1 (800) 677-1116

State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Programs

State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Programs (LTCOP) advocate for people living in nursing homes, board-and-care homes, assisted living facilities, and similar facilities to resolve individual problems and to bring about changes that improve their care, quality of life, and rights. For people with Long COVID living in long-term care facilities, their ombudsman may serve as a resource to provide information on Long COVID and help if any issues arise in meeting new needs as a result of Long COVID.

Reach a representative, call 1 (800) 677-1116

Find an ombudsman program near you, visit Program Locator |

Community Action Agencies

A network of Community Action Agencies (CAA) throughout the United States connects people to greater opportunities and could be a good resource for people with Long COVID. CAAs are the frontline resource for people living in poverty, providing education, employment and family support services for families with low incomes. Community Action Agencies also promote community economic development through community partnerships and collaborations that enhance business development and create jobs.

Find a CAA near you, visit Find A CAP | National CAP ( or call (202) 265-7546

Job Assistance

People experiencing Long COVID may need accommodations in the workplace or assistance with finding a new job. There are federal programs to help you address job-related needs—whether in your search for a new job or issues dealing with your current job/employer—that are the result of Long COVID.

Need accommodations to perform your job since being diagnosed with Long COVID?

Contact the Job Accommodations Network (JAN). JAN is a free service that provides confidential guidance to individuals regarding job accommodations and disability employment issues.

For more information contact JAN at 1 (800) 526-7234 (VOICE) and 1 (877) 781-9403 (TTY) You can also reach JAN via online chat, email or JAN on Demand by visiting Information By Role (

Recently unemployed and unsure of what benefits you may be entitled to?

Find unemployment programs and benefits in your state by visiting Unemployment Benefits Finder | CareerOneStop

Social Security's Ticket to Work Program

Social Security's Ticket to Work Program supports career development for people ages 18 through 64 who receive SSDI or SSI and want to work. The Ticket Program is free. It helps people with disabilities move toward financial independence and connects them with the services and support they need to succeed in the workforce.

Learn more about achieving your work goals, identifying providers, services, and job resources, visit Find Help - Ticket to Work - Social Security (

Speak to a representative, call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1 (866) 968-7842 and 1 (866) 833-2967 (TTY), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET Reach the helpline and email

The Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion

The Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion (EARN) offers information and resources to help employers recruit, hire, retain and advance people with disabilities. It helps employers build inclusive workplace cultures and meet diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility goals. Services and Supports for Longer-Term Impacts of COVID-19 57

Find more information about EARN and additional resources, visit Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion | (

Community Economic Development

Community Economic Development (CED) is a federal grant program funding Community Development Corporations that address the economic needs of low-income individuals and families through the creation of sustainable business development and employment opportunities. CED awards funds to private, non-profit organizations Community Development Corporations, including faith-based organizations and Tribal and Alaskan Native organizations. CED-funded projects create or expand businesses, create new jobs for individuals with low incomes, and leverage funding investments in communities.

Find more information about CED, visit Community Economic Development (CED) | Administration for Children and Families ( or call the Office of Community Services at (202) 401-9333

Housing Assistance

Individuals experiencing Long COVID may need financial assistance to maintain their home or housing assistance to find affordable housing.

If you are experiencing housing insecurity due to the loss of a loved one from COVID, then you may have options through federal supports.

Several federal programs are available that can help.

Worried about falling behind on rent for your home?

Find emergency rental assistance programs in your area by visiting Find Help with Rent and Utilities | Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (

Visit the HUD Housing Counseling Office at Office of Housing Counseling | / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

You can also visit the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity to File a Complaint – Main Page | / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Are you homeless or have you recently lost your home?

Reach out to the Housing Authority in your state at PHA Contact Information - HUD | / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Find Homeless Assistance programs in your area by visiting Need Homeless Assistance?

Visit HUD Exchange.


People with Long COVID may be unable to continue to work and earn money, putting them at risk of being unable to afford food or getting enough nutrition for themselves and their families. If you or your immediate family members need help purchasing food, there are several federal programs that can help you put nutritious food on your family’s table.

In 2021 the USDA estimated more than 34 million Americans, including 9 million children, were food insecure. The pandemic only increased the likelihood individuals and families would struggle with adequate access to food.

Wondering if you are eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) which can help you purchase healthy foods for your family?

See if you qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

Concerned about being able to feed your family?

Find emergency food distribution in your area, and find additional food assistance programs like The National School Lunch Program, The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, and The Emergency Food Assistance Program.

Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations

The Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) provides USDA Foods to income eligible households living on Indian reservations and to Native American households residing in designated areas near reservations or in Oklahoma.

For Older Adults

Senior Nutrition Program Older adults (age 60 and older) and in some cases, their caregivers, spouses, and persons with disabilities may be eligible for certain nutrition programs. The services include both homes delivered meals and healthy meals served in group settings, such as senior centers and faith-based locations.

Learn about elder care programs in your area and to participate in an online chat with an information specialist, visit Eldercare Locator | Administration for Community Living

Talk with a specialist, call 1 (800) 677-1116, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET

Learn more about the program by emailing


Individuals experiencing Long COVID may need assistance with childcare or preschool. In addition, young children with Long COVID might need services, supports or accommodations. Several federal programs are available that may be able to help you.

Worried about paying for child care?

To find out more about child care financial assistance resources in your state, visit See Your State's Resources |

Worried about finding affordable learning opportunities for your preschool age children?

Reach out to the Head Start Programs and check your eligibility Call 1 (866) 763-6481, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET. Visit How to Apply | ECLKC (

Students with Long COVID may need supports, services and accommodations to succeed in school. They also are protected against discrimination by federal law. Some of the resources in this section may also support individuals, their families and caregivers.

Do you need more information about education supports for someone, age birth to 26 years, with Long COVID?

Find your Parent Center by visiting Find Your Center | (

Do you need an advocate or attorney to assist with accessing services, supports or accommodations?

Connect with a Protection & Advocacy System by visiting Member Agencies | NDRN

Charting the Lifecourse™ & Charting the LifeCourse Nexus

Charting the Lifecourse™ helps students with disabilities, including those experiencing Long COVID, families, caregivers, and those who support them organize their ideas, vision, and goals, as well as problem-solve, navigate, and advocate for supports, including primary medical care, behavioral health care (mental health and substance use challenges), health education, case management, and nutrition education.

Learn more about LifeCourse, visit LifeCourse Nexus – Exchange Knowledge | Build Capacity | Engage Collaboratively (


Funded by the Department of Agriculture, 4-H is delivered by Cooperative Extension—a community of more than 100 public universities across the nation that provides experiences where young people learn by doing. Individuals with Long COVID may benefit from these programs.

Find your local 4-H program, visit Find Your Local 4-H | 4-H

The National Center for College Students with Disabilities

The National Center for College Students with Disabilities (NCCSD) is the only federally funded national center in the United States for college and graduate students with any type of disability, chronic health condition, or mental or emotional disabilities. College students experiencing Long COVID can access a variety of resources using the NCCSD Clearinghouse.

Learn more about NCCSD, visit National Center for College Students with Disabilities Clearinghouse (The NCCSD Clearinghouse and Resource Library)

Finding Treatment

Depending on the specific condition there may be treatment or actions that can be taken to lessen the symptoms. Some conditions are already understood and treatable, such as atrial fibrillation, kidney disease, and diabetes. Others such as cognitive impairment and dysautonomia are more challenging. Before your visit with a healthcare provider consider using an appointment checklist or visit the CDC’s page on Patient Tips to better prepare.

Healthcare Appointment Checklist for Post-COVID Conditions (

Patient Tips: Healthcare Provider Appointments for Post-COVID Conditions | CDC

Don’t be a victim of misinformation. Research COVID-19 rumors and fraud.

Finding Support

Everyone experiences Long COVID differently. Being sick long-term may create frustration, confusion, or feelings of isolation,

How Right Now is a CDC campaign that provides helpful tools for navigating conversations about the type of support someone with Long COVID may need.

Employers can support employees experiencing Long COVID by providing accommodations like offering flexible leave and work schedule policies, and by providing access to employee assistance programs.

If you are a caregiver, remember that maintaining healthy behaviors and seeking additional support is an important part of helping other people.

Support Groups

Body Politic

Survivor Corps

Long COVID Alliance

Long COVID Kids